Ofwat (The Water Services Regulation Authority) is a non-ministerial government department. We regulate the water sector in England and Wales.
We are forward-thinking, creative, innovative and ambitious. We actively encourage autonomy, collaboration and innovation and there’s a real adult culture fostered by trust, flexibility and respect.
In 2023 we were awarded 'Smarter Working Maturity' recognition for the way that Ofwat has embraced new and modern ways of working, reflecting the spaces we provide, technology we have deployed and the culture and leadership we have embedded to empower choice and flexibility for our people.
Please read the attached "Candidate Information Pack" to find more about why you should join Ofwat.
We are seeking an experienced Business Analyst to join our Data Solutions team. The team shape how data is used through the delivery of the data strategy, providing teams with practical solutions that result in efficiencies, enhanced visibility & access to data as well as effective decision making & insights. They also lead on the development of a new data platform. The successful candidate will play an important role in leading on the analysis of business requirement as part of our plans to upgrade and modernise our data platform.
You will work closely with colleagues within the directorate and across Ofwat, to lead on the analysis of business requirements and user needs contributing to our exciting Data platform modernisation programme (Programme Ocean). You will have experience in documenting current business process and in process redesign, you will have experience in working on data projects, analysing, and documenting complex dataflows, possess good written and oral communication skills and well-developed stakeholder management skills.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Work closely with colleagues across teams to manage and facilitate business analysis activities with internal stakeholders.
- Work with the Programme Ocean team to scope the breadth and depth of the new architectural landscape.
- Generate process maps and document current data flows, identifying areas for improvement and make recommendations for changes to business processes.
- Work with users to evaluate and prioritise requirements.
- Work with users to understand the technical capabilities and limitations of the existing solution.
- Understand concepts from a business perspective and technical perspective and facilitate conversations between staff, through group discussions and workshops.
- Engage with technical teams to resolve technical issues and support the development of the new solution.
- Have excellent communication skills and be able to inform and influence others. You will be capable of interpreting and communicating complex information for a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide support to colleagues, proactively sharing skills and knowledge.
- Develop your skills through continued learning and development.
- Support the project team in developing the business requirements for our new data platform. Reviewing and analysing requirements to ensure that are clear and compatible with our aims in our strategy.
- Lead the delivery of workshops to identify and prioritise business requirements to feed into the new data platform.
- Document current dataflows and process maps which contribute to the continuous improvement of data and insights within the organisation.
- Creation of a data catalogue for the organisation.
- Seek out opportunities to improve Ofwat's use of data through identifying opportunities for standardisation.
- Creation of documentation to support both the existing solution and new solution and contributing to testing and guidance.
- Ensure new products meet business needs and are aligned with Ofwat's strategy.
Essential Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Experience in leading and defining requirements to improve processes, systems, and services through business process improvement [Lead Criterion].
- Experience of working on the implementation of a data platform and applying structured approaches to identify, investigate, analyse, and communicate complex business problems and opportunities.
- Experience working as a Business Analyst across the full software development lifecycle.
- Experience in leading on modelling business processes at a range of complexity levels and ability.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team as well as independently, using your own initiative to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 29th November 2023