The post is located in the Economics and Statistics Division.This Division is responsible for providing accurate, comprehensive and timely statistical information on the performance of the intellectual property (IP) system worldwide;and providing high quality empirical analysis addressing economic challenges in the international IP system and assessing the economic effects of IP policy choices.
As Director of Statistics, the incumbent is responsible for leading and directing the IP Statistics section and its expanding program of work, including managing relations with internal and external stakeholders, forming new partnerships with data providers, persuading IP offices to share their operational data, and responding to the increased media interest in IP statistics.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Chief Economist.
The incumbent works in close cooperation with programs throughout WIPO, national and regional IP offices and other inter-governmental organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties\:
- Formulate the IP Statistics Section program of work, objectives and priorities, and direct the Section’s activities.
- Plan and provide guidance and supervision to the development of WIPO’s statistics products, as well as the Section’s methodological and research work, and lead relevant reports, surveys and publications.
- Create advanced statistical models and frameworks that drive policy and program debate and influences work in a cross-program arena.Ensure the development of new statistical concepts and definitions to improve international comparability.
- Establish, develop and maintain strategic partnerships with external data providers from the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Represent WIPO in international meetings, conferences and statistical taskforces. Provide advice on IP statistical matters, advocate and promote WIPO’s position, ensure coordination of interrelated statistical activities, and respond to media inquiries on statistical matters.
- Provide authoritative advice to WIPO’s Chief Economist and senior management on a broad range of statistical issues and programs, as well as IP statistical trends and developments, and justify and defend appropriate courses of action.
- Exercise strategic asset management, and direct the Division’s operational program. Develop capacities to flexibly deploy resources into value-added activities, create opportunities for, and manage and implement, change. Prepare annual program of work and budget documents. Empower staff, advance operational performance levels and find solutions to problems where procedures and precedents do not exist.
- Coordinate and integrate the IP statistics program with other programs of the Division and the Organization.
Perform other related duties as required.
Advanced university degree in statistics, mathematics, economics or a related discipline.
At least 15 years of professional experience in the fields of IP and statistics.
Professional experience at the senior level in an international environment.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
Good knowledge of other UN official languages.
Job Related Competencies
- Excellent knowledge of the functioning of the intellectual property system.
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to apply statistical or applied mathematical analysis techniques and tools.
- Strong IT skills, especially with regard to statistical and database management software (e.g., STATA, SQL, MS Excel).
- Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to exercise sound and expert judgment and initiative.
- Excellent report drafting skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a
- multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Communicating effectively.
- Showing team spirit.
- Demonstrating integrity.
- Valuing diversity.
- Producing results.
- Showing service orientation.
- Seeing the big picture.
- Seeking change and innovation.
- Developing yourself and others.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.impactpool.org/jobs/354191 →