The Energy Systems Catapult supports innovators in unleashing opportunities from the transition to a clean, intelligent energy system.
Part of a network of world-leading centres set up by the government to transform the UK’s capability for innovation in specific sectors and help drive future economic growth. By taking an independent, whole energy systems view, we work with stakeholders across the energy sector (consumers, industry, academia and government) to identify innovation priorities, gaps in the market and overcome barriers to accelerating the decarbonisation of the energy system at least cost. In doing so, we seek to open up routes to market for innovators, as well as supporting them to understand how their products, services and value propositions fit into the transforming energy system.
The role of the Innovation function within the Catapult is to identify, define, build, manage, deploy and support the assets and capabilities that will enable the Catapult to achieve impact as described in the 5-Year Delivery Plan. Innovation will do this principally by working with and supporting the Catapult’s Service Platforms and by undertaking projects and other initiatives. The Innovation function key objectives are:
- To support the Catapult in achieving sector impact in support of Government strategies
- To be recognised as a respected centre of expertise in energy systems
- To define and deliver required assets, capabilities and solutions aligned with the 5-Year Plan
- To support energy systems innovators in accelerating commercialisation, mitigating risk and increasing the productivity of their work
The assets/capabilities are organised as Asset Groups within the Innovation asset portfolio – Digital is one of the key Asset Groups within Innovation and is comprised of 5 main Assets and Capabilities:
Living Lab & Home Energy Services Gateway (HESG)
Knowledge & Information Management (EKX)
Digital & Data Systems
The Data Science team is a key capability within the Digital Asset group and uses it expertise with cutting edge data science, machine learning methods, and data analytics to support:
- Development and delivery of Digital Assets (eg HESG)
- Development and delivery of other Catapult Assets & Platforms (eg ERIS)
- External projects and initiatives (eg EV charging station modelling)
The Lead Data Scientist role is accountable for leading the Data Science team to undertake the above functions and has the following principal responsibilities:
- Develop innovative and pragmatic solutions to solve complex data problems in support of projects and other key initiatives
- Work with the Digital Business Lead and Systems Development Manager to develop a Strategy & Approach to shape the Data Science offering within and outside of the Energy Systems Catapult
- Data Science Team Management to build and mentor the team
- Capability Development by the identification and implementation of appropriate tools and processes to support the Strategy and Approach
In undertaking their role, the Lead Data Scientist should:
- Think about the challenges and opportunities that face the energy sector and its transformation and how Data Science can support and accelerate this transformation
- Take a whole system perspective and focus work on themes where contribution is additive
- Actively collaborate with others internally and externally to ensure that our work is current and responsive to change
- Transfer knowledge to others
- Approach work systematically to ensure the productivity of effort
- Seek solutions that are appropriate to individual projects
Key Deliverable's include:
- Work side by side with the Digital Business Lead and Systems Development Manager to shape the Data Science offering within and outside of the Energy Systems Catapult.
- Collaborate with business subject matter experts to develop and apply advanced mathematical analysis techniques to generate data insights, visualizations and algorithms, from design to execution.
- Develop and evolve platform data models and algorithmic solutions targeted at processing large and complex data sets within commercial constraints relating to data ownership and usage rights.
- Provide technical data analysis subject matter advice and guidance to internal and external delivery teams.
- Communicate data insights to technical and non-technical audiences, ranging from junior level to executive level.
- Shape and develop the data analytics function within the ESC Innovation team. Drive the adoption and application of best practice big data analytics: process, mathematical methods and tools.
Key Work Activities
- Lead a team of data scientists to deliver various projects within and outside of the catapult.
- Develop algorithm specifications and test documentation to support new project development activities.
- Support existing data scientists technically in their projects.
- Develop data algorithm solutions for the next version of the ESC’s energy services gateway.
- Provide analytics input to support system and software architecture specification development activities.
- Provide analytics input to support consumer proposition and user experience development activities.
- Support the ESC development and integration teams to implement sustainable test strategies to verify and validate algorithms solutions.
- Work with ESC delivery team(s) to deliver analytics/algorithm concepts in a trial or production environment.
- Generate analytics reports, insights and visualizations as required to promote new analytics concepts.
- Present reports and insights to internal and external stakeholders.
- Document and evolve the Innovation team’s analytics processes and tool chains.
What credentials are we ideally looking for?
- Strong team management skills to build, manage and retain team members
- Confident presenting to wide range of audiences (conferences, working groups)
- Good stakeholder management skills and confidence working with individuals at all levels
- Ability to excel in a rapidly growing, fast-paced organisational environment
- A can-do attitude, able to work with limited supervision under pressure and to tight deadlines., either alone or as part of a team
- Persuasive and approachable, able to successfully manage relations with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders
- Willing to occasionally work off-site at supplier or customer sites.
- Background in the application of at least one of the following - Stochastic models, Bayesian Modelling, Classification Models, Cluster Analysis, Neural Networks, Non-parametric Methods, Multivariate Statistics, Machine Learning.
- Demonstrable capability in data analysis – knowledge of Spark, Kafka and Cassandra would be advantageous
- Experience of working with at least one SQL and NoSQL database e.g. PostgreSQL and MongoDB.
- Demonstrable algorithms development experience in software languages such as Python, Ruby, Visual Basic or similar.
- Familiar with the principles of Agile systems development and continuous integration.
- Comfortable working with different data science tools.
- Experience of statistical tools such as SPSS Statistics or similar.
- Experience of dealing with data sets comprised of a mix of commercial ownership and usage rights and familiarity with the challenges that this presents.
- Experience of working with data sets that contain personal data (data protection issues).
- A degree or equivalent in a data science/analytics, engineering or technical discipline
Would you like to Apply?
Please note that at this time we are unable to provide UK visa sponsorship.
The Energy Systems Catapult undertakes innovative and exciting work that will help shape the future of energy, with this in mind we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible, as we do reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
(Strictly No Agencies).
"We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of race, sex, disability, religion and belief, sexual orientation, or status regarding gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity."