Ofwat (The Water Services Regulation Authority) is a non-ministerial government department. We regulate the water sector in England and Wales.
We are forward-thinking, creative, innovative and ambitious. We actively encourage autonomy, collaboration and innovation and there’s a real adult culture fostered by trust, flexibility and respect.
Ofwat were recently awarded 'Smarter Working Maturity' recognition for the way we have embraced new and modern ways of working, reflecting the spaces we provide, technology we have deployed and the culture and leadership we have embedded to empower choice and flexibility for our people.
Please read the attached "Candidate Information Pack" to find more about why you should join Ofwat.
The Open Data & Digitalisation Lead is a brand new role created to support us in taking our Data Strategy and translating it into action within Ofwat. In June we published our assessment on Water companies progress on open data (Open data in the water industry: making the change) and we are now calling on companies and the sector to make accelerated progress. The successful candidate will play a significant role in achieving our Open data objectives by leading the workstream and ensuring Water companies take the necessary action.
You will also focus on ensuring that Ofwat becomes mature in its own approach to open data, adopting best practice and working in partnership with other regulators and stakeholders. You will also work closely alongside the Head of Data Strategy, amongst other things, this will include improving our data governance, support to our data network, developing a data catalogue and data principles for the organisation, and developing skill profiles and learning pathways for our staff. Furthermore, you will engage with teams internally, across the sector, and across regulators and government, to build strong working relationships, to understand how data and open data is being used and to bring about change. You will need to be comfortable working at pace, flexibly, and at ease working both independently and collaboratively with others.
In this role you will:
- Develop and implement, deliverable and value adding data projects that will achieve good outcomes for our internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to the delivery of an Open Data work programme.
- Work with the sector to ensure there is a step change in water company and water sector open data maturity and that long term benefits are realised.
- Ensure that the key actions identified in our June publication are progressed and delivered.
- Lead the development of a licence condition obligating water companies to deliver the outcomes and expectations we are seeking, working with colleagues across Legal and other teams to deliver this.
- Working in collaboration with the Head of Data Strategy Delivery - Lead the development and implementation of new ways of working for collecting, managing, storing, sharing, and publishing our regulatory data, working closely with policy teams/ other specialists across Ofwat and suppliers.
- Engage with Stakeholders including Open Data users, customers, and industry partners to ensure the voice of user informs Ofwat's data approach and the approach of companies.
- Develop relationships across government and the sector, connect with other Data and Open Data initiatives, regulators and Cross-governmental forums and workshops.
- Provide strategic data thought leadership – ensuring Ofwat's place in the data landscape.
- Support the development of Ofwat's digital transformation and maximise the opportunities for open data.
Essential Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Well-rounded knowledge of technical and nontechnical aspects across the data life cycle. [Lead Criteria]
- Experience/knowledge and understanding of Open data and digitalisation and its potential. [Lead Criteria]
- Educated to degree or post-graduate level in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in policy development
- Be a compelling communicator, able to build trust and credibility with senior leaders as well as technical colleagues.
- Ability to influence and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven experience in highly effective Stakeholder management
- Experience of scoping and managing competing and complex projects.
- Proven experience in building and managing multi-disciplinary teams including through period of change.
- Building trust
- Promoting collaboration
- Adaptable thinker
- Delivering outcomes
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 29th November 2023