We want self-starting and self-confident people to join the Preventive Risking Exploration, Insight & Advancement Team to help us exploit and build upon our current capability, in order to identify new and emerging fraud in as close to real time as possible.
As a Senior Data Analyst (SDA) you’ll have a genuine passion for analytics, an innovative mind-set, and the ability to lead and communicate effectively while actively seeking to build capability across our network. We’re looking for people that will question our current methods, and offer unique solutions to emerging challenges.
See what it’s like to work at HMRC: find out more about us or ask our colleagues a question. Questions relating to an individual application must be emailed as detailed later in this advert.
Our Senior Data Analysts (SDAs) demonstrate high levels of experience, skills and ability when using a range of cutting-edge analytical tools and software, manipulating complex datasets to develop insight and identify risk.
SDAs lead on maintaining and developing our technical standards of analysis, are responsible for the quality of our analytical products, and also ensuring that standards are upheld and improved. They provide leadership and guidance on ‘big ticket’ projects and support our data analysts on complex profiles, encouraging delivery through others and actively seeking new and innovative ways of working.
You will be expected to;
- Employ advanced analytical skills to design and deliver products that identify individuals, businesses and customer behaviours of the greatest risk to the UK economy.
- Use new tools and techniques to develop your expertise for manipulating large datasets, including a range of taxpayer, government, public and commercially available information.
- Initiate and undertake complex and accurate analysis.
- Train and mentor our data analysts, building their confidence and capability.
- Be responsible for building the overall skills of our analytical community.
- Build capability within our analytical community, developing effective and efficient working processes which encourages our people to thrive.
- Ensure products meet our quality standards.
- Proven relevant experience of working in an analytical role, where the skills you have developed can be transferred to this Senior Data Analyst role.
- Effective verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Experience of working with ambitious, non-analytical stakeholders, often across multiple lines of business.
- Proven track record of flexibility, with the ability to adapt quickly and re-prioritise work when required.
- High levels of experience and technical ability when using bulk data analysis tools or languages, such as SAS Enterprise Guide (or similar).
- Experience of analysing data to spot trends and anomalies, and work with technical experts to identify and plug vulnerabilities.
- Work with business stakeholders to capture their requirements to develop and deliver analytical projects, and demonstrate a capability of effectively. communicating project changes, progress issues and results to stakeholders.
- Previous experience of working in an analytical role.
- Be proficient in the use of analytical software such as SAS, R, SQL or another package to manipulate complex and large data sets. Full training will be given to use all HMRC tools.
- A tax background / knowledge.