Looking for a new challenge?
Take a look at our current vacancies. If you see a vacancy that is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Senior Data and Insight Analyst
Working hours: full time is 35 hours a week. Part time is at least 21 hours across three days a week. Our service is open from 8am to 8pm on weekdays, and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays. You’ll agree your working pattern with your manager.
Salary: £49,500 circa
Reporting to: Head of Business Analysis and Insight
Office: London docklands
Our permanent hybrid policy sees us all working at least four days across a fortnight in the office.
At the Financial Ombudsman Service, we make decisions on a range of complex and difficult issues. Every year we resolve thousands of disputes between consumers or small businesses and their financial service providers.
The purpose of your role
We are building a stronger, crosscutting Analysis and Insight function, and looking to recruit a senior data and insight analyst with a proven track record of planning, leading and delivering analytical projects with demonstrable business impact. You will be asked to lead on a number of key analytical work areas as part of a central analytical unit with the primary aim of using your analytical and insight skills to support the organisation in making the best decisions from the best evidence.
This is a key role within our Analysis and Insight function, which will help us to drive evidence-based decisions across the Financial Ombudsman Service and build our capacity and capability across a range of analytical tools and approaches. In recruiting to this role, we welcome applications from everyone who meets the criteria of this role profile, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.
Your role will include proactively identifying problems and analytical solutions, alongside taking forward specific aspects of projects led elsewhere in the team. All your work will be focused on driving demonstrable improvements to the service we deliver to our business and consumer customers on a daily basis, whilst also informing our transformation and continuous improvement areas to utilise insight to influence and prioritise change.
Your analytical skills are essential here, as is your ability to build relationships across a number of areas of the organisation; it is crucial that you can work collaboratively across organisational boundaries and ensure your findings are clear and understood. Similarly, you’ll be required to inform and influence stakeholders at all levels of the organisation, including the Executive.
- Delivering against your personal objectives, and your contribution to our commitments.
- Driving evidence-based decisions through analysis and insight, both reactive from the needs of the Service and proactive from your own initiative and strong business knowledge.
- Maintaining excellent business knowledge, alongside an understanding of a range of analytical tools, methodologies and approaches - for example, data science, sampling theory, mathematical modelling, systems thinking and simulation modelling.
- Finding new ways to use data to deliver insight and to continually improve our models.
- Ensuring your analysis - and the data it is based on - is quality assured, documented and fit-for-purpose, seeking feedback and opportunities for continuous improvement. QA the analysis of others, where required.
- As required, leading on crosscutting analytical projects and supporting project work across the organisation where there are data analysis requirements.
- Making sure data is managed appropriately including access, quality and retention.
- Delivering a fair and efficient service, that reflects the diversity of our customers and our people.
- A track record of impact through analysis, ideally in an organisation that prides itself on customer service.
- Experience of delivering a range of analytical work – through your own analytical and problem solving skills, and supporting the analysis of others.
- The ability to work with ambiguity, focusing on the big picture and eliciting the key issue from stakeholders or situations, so your analytical expertise is targeted where it can add most value.
- Knowledge and practical experience of a number of analytical techniques – for example, data analysis systems, including SQL variants, Azure ML, Python, R, and Visual Basic; mathematical modelling; sampling and statistical theory; and systems thinking and operational research methods – with demonstrable evidence of using some of these to add business value.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written – you are able to explain your ideas in a way the decision makers understand and can act on.
- Having great attention to detail, and strong quality assurance focus, to ensure the right solution is delivered and is accurate
- Delivering in a timely way to support decision makers – you know how to prioritise a number of project areas, and can deliver on time.
- Strong teamwork skills, with the ability to build collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders.
Why Financial Ombudsman Service?
Our people are the most important part of delivering our purpose. If it wasn’t for their amazing efforts, ideas and commitment we wouldn’t be able to make a difference that we do today. So, we offer an attractive, competitive salary and flexible benefits to suit them.
Here’s a list of some of the many benefits and perks you can get for working with us:
- 25 days holiday entitlement, with the option to buy extra or sell days
- Generous pension
- Employer provided benefits such as Private medical insurance, virtual GP, Critical illness cover, Life assurance cover, to name a few
- Choice of voluntary benefits including Technology scheme, Cycle to work scheme, Will-writing service amongst others
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Extensive opportunities for personal and career development
- Fully equipped on-site gym open 24 / 7 (London office only)
- Extensive Well-being resources including on-site therapists (London office only)
- Beautiful and bright London office looking over the Thames and near to mainline stations
- Our employee led networks do fantastic work in educating and raising awareness across a range of experiences and support us in being an inclusive employer and a great place to work. You can get involved, too!
How do I apply?
Please upload your CV and a statement answering the following question in no more than 500 words.
“Taking in consideration the minimum criteria, in your own words, please highlight why your experience makes you the right candidate for the role”.
Applications need to be submitted by 11:59pm on Wednesday 27th September
Due to high application numbers this advert may end earlier than the date specified, so please don't delay and apply now!
A full job profile is available on request and will be provided to candidates shortlisted to the first stage of the assessment process.
We’re proud to be an inclusive employer
We view diversity as fundamental to our success and welcome applications from underrepresented groups across all communities.
We’re committed to being a great place to work– attracting and developing people from the widest possible range of backgrounds. We want everyone to perform at their best and feel able to be themselves. We understand that if we’re diverse and inclusive, we’ll better understand different perspectives, which is fundamental to our job resolving financial complaints.
We welcome applications from Black and other ethnic minority candidates, and female candidates, for all positions and particularly so for senior leader positions as they are under-represented within the Financial Ombudsman Service at this level.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. This means that we will put disabled candidates entering under the scheme through to the next stage of the recruitment process should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidate’s CV/supporting statement. Exceptions may apply if due to the volume of applications we are not able to interview all eligible candidates who qualify under the scheme. If you would like to speak to a member of our team about any reasonable adjustments you need, please email email@example.com and let us know your preferred method of contact.
Find out more
Check out below channels to find out more about everyday life at the Financial Ombudsman Service – and don’t forget to follow us while you’re there!