Glasgow: £41,200 – £64,000
London, Canary Wharf: £43,600 – £69,700
Ofgem protects the interests of present and future generations of electricity and gas consumers by promoting value for money; ensuring security of supply and sustainability; and effectively supervising and developing competition in our markets.
We are growing our digital capability in our organisation, expanding our community of DevOps Engineers who work across the Ofgem enterprise. These people lead Ofgem’s detailed design and implementation of our organisation’s cloud-based digital capability. Enabling it to deliver its regulatory work and to provide supportive advice to our community of architects.
Our DevOps Engineers are delivery focused and work to meet the business needs of their users internal and external to the organisation. They partner and integrate with multi-disciplinary teams working on different projects, ensuring that they are delivered coherently and to common standards to realise an effective overall enterprise-wide, cloud-based infrastructure. For this role you will first partner with our new Data Services team, delivering new digital capabilities for our data.
While working with the Data Services team you will collaborate with an integrated team of business product leads, software engineers, QA testers, business and data analysts. You will deliver, improve and operate the technical and digital work to enable the cloud-based working environment for your colleagues. The team support a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. You will integrate with and support this multi-disciplinary team, encouraging open, inclusive discussions and adopting the team’s agile approach to delivery.
In the role you will:
- Be responsible for the configuration and on-going management of cloud PaaS/IaaS (using technology such as Hortonworks based on Hadoop clusters configured on cloud data centres such as those of Azure/AWS).
- Undertake continuous improvement and maintenance activity to ensure consistent platform availability.
- Ensure platform security, privacy and resilience is a priority at all times.
- Work collaboratively to develop the right solutions to meet the business’ technical requirements.
- Learn and develop approaches to effective platform performance diagnostics and cost management
You must also have:
- Commercial Hadoop experience using Hortonworks (preferred) or Cloudera, and technical skills across the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Experience of security controls such as VPNs, encryption & key/certificate management, endpoint protection, virtual firewalls/ACLs/NSGs, setting up bastion nodes, and others.
- Practical experience of connecting cloud infrastructure to on-premise networks, as well as knowledge of architecture/engineering of cloud-based distribution systems.
- A track record of successfully working within an agile project management environment.
Ofgem can offer you a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, which includes:
- Up to 30 days’ annual leave
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- The opportunity to join the Civil Service pension arrangements, which include a valuable range of benefits
- Flexible working hours and family friendly policies
- Subsidised gym and restaurant (London only)
- Interest free season ticket loan.
Closing date: midnight, 23 July 2018.
Ofgem is an equal opportunities employer. Protecting consumers and powering the future of the energy debate.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.ofgemcareers-ds.co.uk →