Starling’s mission is to build a fairer, smarter, and more human alternative to traditional banks.
Now it’s your turn to join our mission.
We are a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company and are obsessed with providing our customers with the best banking app and money management experience around.
We are looking for an experienced Statistician to help the bank solve complex problems with solutions that are backed by statistics. This role will be broad in scope and you can expect to collaborate with many teams in order to advise, support and develop processes using the most appropriate methodology for the topic in hand. If you love finding elegant mathematical solutions to tricky problems then we’d love to hear from you.
- Lead the design of statistically robust processes and approaches across a broad range of applications
- Work with teams delivering data driven solutions to improve the speed, efficiency, and quality of decision-making at Starling
- Work proactively with data, engineering and wider tech teams to ensure that the most appropriate statistical methods are used to approach complex problems
- Communicate statistical concepts and the results of statistical analyses
- Experience and knowledge of statistical methods and applications in study design, analysis and interpretation
- Experience in the implementation of optimisation techniques
- Excellent skills in SQL and Python
- MSc or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Science or similar field is highly desirable
- Strong data visualisation and communication skills are essential
Starling technology works in a hybrid pattern both from home and one of our three offices. We’re open to applications from across the UK including fully remote, if you’re hybrid our preference is that you’re located within a commutable distance to either our London, Southampton or Cardiff office, so that we’re able to see each other and collaborate in person too.
- 25 days holiday (plus public holidays)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday, taken a week on either side of the day
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Part-time and/or flexible hours available for most roles
- Hybrid/remote working
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Enhanced sick pay
- Contributory pension scheme
- Varied social groups set up and run by our employees
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a cashback scheme, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, a birthday box and weekly free coffee
- Access to ‘salary sacrifice’ benefits such as Cycle to Work scheme
Full details are available on our careers site
Starling is a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry.
Since our launch in 2014, we've surpassed 2 million accounts, including over 350,000 business accounts. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have topped £5 billion and we have lent over £2bn over the same period. We're a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We've won the Best British Bank award four years running, and now employ over 1500 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff & Dublin offices.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.