This vacancy is on a fixed term/ secondment basis. Secondments will be considered for NHSBT staff wishing to apply for this role.
This post is an opportunity to join our committed team of statisticians for a year and become involved in extremely rewarding work, developing a broad range of statistical and other skills. The post will involve collaborative work with clinicians and others working in organ transplantation, blood donation and haematology.
Main duties of the job
The Statistics and Clinical Studies group of NHSBT is responsible for the design and analysis of studies in organ and tissue donation and transplantation, blood donation and transfusion medicine. The group incorporates the NHSBT Clinical Trials Unit, which is responsible for the design, conduct and analysis of clinical trials in all areas of NHSBT’s activity. The analysis and interpretation of results inform decision-making on developments in donation, transplantation and transfusion, the clinical care of donors and patients, and equity of access to treatment.
On your one-year placement with us, you will be supported to carry out statistical analyses of data arising from studies in blood, organ and tissue donation, organ transplantation and transfusion medicine. This also involves reporting results to other staff in NHSBT, specialist advisory groups, the Department of Health, clinical staff in blood and transplantation services and other interested parties.
You may be required to travel on occasions for which notice will be given.
Experience and Knowledge
- Able to present statistical concepts and findings to all levels of audience, including small working parties, large formal meetings, senior managers, clinicians and statisticians
- Experience of managing workloads to meet deadlines
- Experience of working with Information Technology using Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Experience of using IT systems to produce reports and correspondence which are timely, professional and accurate
Qualifications and Training
- A - Level qualification or equivalent qualification, including at least one in a relevant subject e.g. Maths / Statistics
- Currently studying for a degree in a statistical / numerate subject, having completed two years’ study
- Demonstrates committment to own Continued Professional Development (CPD)
Please view the attached recruitment profile which is a summary of the detailed Job Description and Person Specification for the full personal attributes we require for the role. You will need to demonstrate these throughout the recruitment process.
At NHS Blood and Transplant, we’re incredibly proud of the many talented people who come together every day to make our organisation the very best it can be. We have clearly defined values that are centred around offering exceptional care to our donors and their families. We take care of each other too and we focus on building our expertise so we can change lives, provide quality support and offer fulfilling careers.
It’s an opportunity to contribute to a unique team as part of a service that saves lives 365 days a year. We offer brilliant benefits including 27 days of holiday (plus bank holidays), a comprehensive induction and training programme, and competitive pension scheme.
We are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace and aim to reflect the diverse communities we work with and positively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Three small words, one big difference - Caring, Expert and Quality.
Together we'll save and improve more lives than ever
This vacancy will close at 23:59 on 3rd December 2023