The Department of Mathematics has a popular undergraduate programme with around 900 enrolled students, many of whom specialise in Statistics, as well as a heavily over-subscribed MSc in Statistics. In 2021-22, the Department welcomed the first cohort of students on a new MSc programme in Machine Learning and Data Science, delivered entirely online.
The Department of Mathematics wishes to appoint a permanent Teaching Fellow or Senior Teaching Fellow. Your main duties will be to develop and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate modules on behalf of the Statistics Section across all these programmes. You will also carry out personal tutoring and project supervision work. At the senior level, you would be expected to make a substantial contribution to the development of the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum, and to the efficient running of teaching within the Department.
Duties and responsibilities
Your main duties will be:
- To develop and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate modules on behalf of the Statistics Section across all these programmes.
- Carry out personal tutoring and project supervision work.
- At the senior level, you would be expected to make a substantial contribution to the development of the undergraduate and postgraduate curriculum, and to the efficient running of teaching within the Department.
- Please see full list of duties and responsibilities in job description.
- You will hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Statistics or a closely related discipline.
- You will also have, or be working towards, a recognised teaching qualification, or be able to demonstrate experience in a formal teaching environment.
- A specialist knowledge of Statistics, or closely related field, and of teaching methods and techniques within the field of mathematics is essential. You must have recent experience and proven competence of teaching at (at least) an undergraduate level, including project supervision and tutoring.
- You must have experience of promoting effective learning and interaction with students, together with an ability to motivate mathematics students in the study of statistics.
Please see the list of essential and desirable requirements in the job description. Your application should address and evidence each of these as far as is possible.
Teaching Fellow level salary: £51,417 - £58,345 per annum
Senior Teaching Fellow level salary: £60,855 - £72,071 per annum
This is a full time, open-ended position, based at South Kensington Campus.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Prof. Almut Veraart at email@example.com
Hybrid working may be considered for this role and the role holder may be expected to work 60% or more of their time onsite, with 40% the minimum time spent onsite. The opportunity for hybrid working will be discussed at interview.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/res...
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/rese...