Grow with us as a Lead Data Scientist, supporting the European IT team and collaborating with the business to provide insights and answer questions through the use of data mining techniques, including pattern detection, graph analysis or statistical analysis – extracting usable knowledge from complex datasets.
The Lead Data Scientist will exercise their knowledge of descriptive and multivariate statistical techniques and applications, database analysis tools and techniques to develop strategic insights to drive business goals.
WHAT WILL I BE DOING?
Gather Business Requirements
- Work with the business stakeholders to identify the business requirements and the expected outcomes.
- Model and frame business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions
- Work in iterative processes with the business and validate findings. For example, validate discovered correlations across data with the business. Data scientists need to be able to expose the rationale to their findings in easy to understand terms for the business. Data scientists should be prepared to present back results that contradict common belief.
- Understand and assess with the business the expected qualification and assurance of the information in support of the use case. This includes defining the validity of the information, how long the information is meaningful and what other information it is related to.
- Develops and writes any business requirements and functional specifications for the design and implementation of reporting solutions.
- Analyse large, noisy datasets and identify meaningful patterns that provide actionable business results.
- Identify what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes such as geo-location information or social media.
- Work with business subject matter experts to select the relevant sources of information. Evaluate the data sources on multiple criteria including cost.
- Assess the volume of data supporting the initiative, the type of data it is (images, text, clickstream or metering data) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection.
- Understand the use and ability to employ the appropriate algorithm to discover patterns. Examples include using statistical and data mining packages and dedicated frameworks such as Hadoop MapReduce.
- Develop algorithms and predictive models to solve critical business problems
- Develop and automate new enhanced imputation algorithms.
- Create informative visualizations that intuitively display large amounts of data and/or complex relationships.
- Suggest ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information.
- Validates findings using experimental design approaches and by comparing appropriate samples
- Coordinate data resource requirements between analytics team and engineering teams.
- Work with product managers, engineers, and analytics team members to translate prototypes into production.
Standardized Reporting and Data Analytics
- Creates data mining and analytics architectures, coding standards, statistical reporting, and data analysis methodologies.
- Designs and develops and optimizes enterprise-wide information “views” and complex reports.
- Researches tools, frameworks and mechanisms for data analytics.
- Provides input to the development of information quality metrics
- Conduct research and make recommendations on big data infrastructure, database technologies, analytics tools, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
- Interfaces with vendors to keep abreast of new technologies, pricing and customer applicability.
- Participates in vendor evaluations.
- Supports education of the organization both from IT and the business perspectives on these new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results.
- Designs and delivers end-user training and training materials.
- Trains users to transform data into action-oriented information and to use that information correctly.
- Provides guidance, training, and problem solving assistance to other team members.
- Mentors less-experienced individuals.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DEMONSTRATE?
- Degree / MSc in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or other related field. Or specialized training/certification. Or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a similar role.
- Experience working with SAS, SQL, Python, and ‘R’.
- Experience delivering visualisations through Tableau is preferable.
- Typically requires considerable related technical /business experience including a working knowledge in developing data management processes and systems.
- Experience in data analysis and data mining.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Work is performed in typical office environment including normal work activities.
- Some international travel is required.
- The role may require On-Call out of hours support.
This position requires regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with Company policies. Base location is Manchester or Dublin with remote working / relocation package negotiable for the right candidate. Additionally, the ability to interact well with other employees and work overtime, as necessary, is required
Please note that we will only accept applications that are made to us via our Careers site.
If you experience any difficulty when applying please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the closing date may be subject to change. We will interview suitable candidates as they apply, so please don’t hesitate to take this opportunity to submit your application as soon as possible.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://kelloggs.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=INF001097&lang=en →