Centre for Public Health
School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
The overarching mission of the Centre for Public Health (CPH) is to:
Advance the health of the public at a regional, national and international level, by increasing knowledge and influencing clinical and public health practice and policy.
CPH staff aim to identify the epidemiological and genetic risk factors that are important for the health of the individual and of the population, and to develop screening and interventions to reduce the burden of chronic disease in the future.
To achieve this, the Centre is developing high quality research programmes involving close collaboration between clinical experts and scientists with skills in biochemistry, epidemiology, genetics and statistics. There is a strong emphasis on maintaining international research collaborations, facilitated through formal links with a number of other institutions. In addition, the Centre actively participates in research networks throughout the UK and Europe.
The successful candidate will undertake research in the analysis of large medical and epidemiological datasets (Big Data) or in a closely related applied research area, they will assist in statistical aspects of the research activities of the Centre and School. The post holder will teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and will contribute to School’s administration/outreach activity.
The successful candidate must have:
- A primary degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a cognate subject.
- PhD in Medical Statistics or a closely related discipline.
- A minimum of three years’ experience of the application of quantitative methods in a health/healthcare or biomedical environment
- Experience in performing statistical analysis using relevant statistical packages such as SPSS, STATA, SAS or the R software environment.
- Recent, relevant publications in peer reviewed/refereed journals that are REF returnable and that are commensurate with stage of career.
- Expertise in statistical consultancy and recent experience of working collaboratively with people from medical or biomedical research areas.
- A research profile which complements the research priorities and strengths of the School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
- Experience of giving presentations at national and international meetings and conferences.
- Sustained teaching experience at University level with evidence of good teaching and assessment.
- Relevant academic administrative/management experience commensurate with stage in career.
Further information about the Centre can be found at www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/CentreforPublicHealth/
Informal enquires may be directed to Professor Chris Patterson, email: email@example.com
Anticipated interview date: Thursday 10 and Friday 11 May 2018
Salary scale: £39,992 – £49,149 per annum (potential to progress to £52,132 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
Closing date: Friday 16 March 2018
For full criteria and to apply online, visit www.qub.ac.uk/jobs. For further information or assistance contact Human Resources, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on HR@qub.ac.uk
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. It welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as people with disabilities and females are currently under-represented in this particular category of work, it would particularly welcome applications from these groups.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.qub.ac.uk/jobs →