Senior Statistician/ Statistical Science Associate Director (Principal level) – Early Respiratory & Immunology / Early Vaccines & Immune Therapies/ Early Neuroscience
Location: Cambridge, UK; Gothenburg, Sweden; or Gaithersburg, US or Warsaw, Poland
Competitive salary and benefits
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Biostatistics? Would you like to apply your skills to impact the early phases of drug development and regulatory interactions, in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
We are currently recruiting a Statistician at Senior level or Associate Director depending on your previous experience to join our growing team supporting the Early Respiratory & Immunology (R&I) / Early Vaccines & Immune Therapies (V&I)/ Early Neuroscience portfolio.
As part of the Data Science and AI organisation, you’ll use technology at the forefront of science in a creative environment, with the scope to develop new statistical ideas and approaches and apply them in your work.
At AstraZeneca, we’re applying leading-edge approaches to science across many business areas – within Early Biometrics & Statistical Innovation (EB&SI) that you’ll be a part of, our data-centric focus helps us work efficiently and creatively to bring the right medicines to the right patients. Our teams use their expertise in statistics and programming to address drug development objectives and reduce uncertainty in product development, driving better business decisions with quantitative reasoning.
What you will do:
You will be expected to:
- Take a leadership role and drive statistical thinking in cross-functional projects, within an international environment
- Contribute to strategic planning and quantitative decision making in early clinical development programmes
- Lead the delivery and oversight on drug project(s) and/or studies to time, quality and standards, including partnering with CROs and with Programming
- Participate in applying, adapting and/or developing statistical methodology
- Contribute to development of new procedures and standards to increase quality, efficiency, and effectiveness
Depending on your experience, the role may also include:
- Interactions to influence key stakeholders and governance
- Acting as a technical expert in interactions with external providers and collaborators
- Mentoring and coaching junior staff and supporting them with education and training in statistics
- Working with regulatory agencies, e.g. attending meetings, answering questions
We offer the chance to influence drug development and the opportunity to gain experience across a range of challenging and exciting projects.
Essential in the role:
- MSc/PhD in Statistics or Mathematics (containing a substantial statistical component) with experience in pharma/healthcare or other relevant area
- Knowledge of the technical and regulatory requirements related to the role
- Leadership capabilities to be able to lead and direct project work
- Experience of data analysis and interpretation in a relevant area
- Strong knowledge of programming in R and/or SAS
- Excellent written and spoken English. Excellent communication skills (including communicating with non-statisticians) and ability to build strong relationships
- Excellent collaboration skills required – the energy to work across global & functional boundaries, both internally and externally
- Ability to apply statistical expertise to complex problems, problem solving and quality focus
Desirable in the role, dependent on experience:
- Experience of programme and study design
- Experience in the relevant therapeutic area
- Experience of regulatory interactions
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available and we hope it’s yours.
This role is open to applications until 1st September 2022